Saturday 24 May 2014

Wanting to win - Piquet heads to Global Rallycross

Nelson Piquet Jr. is a driver with one impressive CV. Stints in F1 and NASCAR stand out alongside GP2, A1 GP, FIA GT and more, but now, like Scott Speed, the second generation Brazilian driver is taking on Red Bull Global Rallycross.



After a handful of outings in an under-performing Mitsubishi Evo last year, alongside his NASCAR commitments Piquet is back for a full season with the SH Racing team driving the proven Ford Fiesta ST.

But despite the experience of last year, Piquet insists that 2014 is very much a rookie year in rallycross.

"Because I didn’t compete full time last year, this is really a new thing for me." Piquet says. "It’s going to be a big learning year doing GRC full-time for the first time, so we’ll learn quite quickly to work together with the team and adjust to the car."


It may be new to him, but that doesn't change his goal going into the new season.

"I always head into a championship wanting to win, so it’s important to know that you have the team behind you that are capable of doing that." He said, "I always go into everything aiming and wanting to win. If we can get some wins under our belt it will be a good year."

The new partnership looked strong from the off at the opening round of the season in Barbados with Piquet scoring a heat win before finishing fourth in the final.

Piquet's team, SH Racing, comes from a background in IndyCar racing, like fellow new Red Bull GRC teams Barracuda racing and Andretti Volkswagen Rallycross. He believes that the influx of teams from other areas of motorsport is a good thing for the emerging series as it continues to make it's mark.

"It’s important to have very professional teams who are experienced and they’re serious about what they’re doing and aiming for wins." He told me. "I think Rallycross is a sport that is growing rapidly and it's a hugely competitive field with great cars and that’s why I’m focusing on it this year."

A racer at heart, Piquet may have chosen to divert his full attention to Red Bull Global Rallycross this year, but that doesn't stop him from racing elsewhere, he'll be racing in the Blancpain Sprint series as well as making a one off appearance in the RX Lites category at Lydden Hill this weekend.

Next up for the Brazilian in the Red Bull Global Rallycross series is X Games Austin. For a guy who's raced at Monaco, Daytona and more, it's just another big event to add to the list.


Full Nelson Piquet Jr. Interview


Dominik Wilde: After competing in single seater racing, and then stock car racing, what made you want to compete in rallycross?

Nelson Piquet Jr: I’ve always loved driving all types of different cars and racing in different categories. Even when I was driving single-seater racing cars or NASCAR full time I would do sports car races like Le Mans 24 Hours and karting races when my schedule allowed. I first tried out a rally car when I was racing in the GP2 Series, I drove in England on an off-road course and it was so much fun! When I heard about Global Rallycross originally I was really keen to be involved and did a few rounds and I absolutely loved it. I think Rallycross is a sport that is growing rapidly and it's a hugely competitive field with great cars and that’s why I’m focusing on it this year.



Dominik Wilde: You took part in a few rounds last year but in 2014 you'll be doing a full campaign. With that, what do you hope to achieve in your first full season in Red Bull Global Rallycross?

Nelson Piquet Jr: It will be a big learning year for me coming into a new sport and competing full-time in the championship, but I always go into everything aiming and wanting to win. If we can get some wins under our belt it will be a good year.



Dominik Wilde: This season though you're in a new car, with a new team, on new tracks with new tyres so do you think the experience you have from last year will help at all in 2014?

Nelson Piquet Jr: Rallycross is another different kind of racing to single-seater racing on circuits or NASCAR on ovals. You learn the different ways in which you need to approach an event and handle a car. I loved the atmosphere and the competitiveness of the events. I’m really excited to be running the full season this year to build on my experience from before.



Dominik Wilde: With so many differences to last season, how will you approach the 2014 season?

Nelson Piquet Jr: Because I didn’t compete full time last year, this is really a new thing for me. There are obviously things that you carry across in the approach you take to racing, but each team and championship has different characteristics like schedules, the way they work and things like that. One of the biggest differences to a GRC event is the heat nature as normally a race builds up through free practices and qualifying up to one or two races per weekend, so the format is quite different. It’s going to be a big learning year doing GRC full-time for the first time, so we’ll learn quite quickly to work together with the team and adjust to the car.



Dominik Wilde: This season you'll have a championship winning car in the Ford Fiesta ST, how reassuring is it to know you have such a competitive car for your first full Red Bull Global Rallycross campaign?

Nelson Piquet Jr: We’ve been talking since last year and I’m so happy to be driving for Ford. It’s always important to drive for a consistently strong team that can offer the level of support that’s need to win races and championships. I always head into a championship wanting to win, so it’s important to know that you have the team behind you that are capable of doing that.



Dominik Wilde: Like Andretti Autosport and Barracuda Racing, your team has links with open wheel racing, how important do you think it is for Red Bull Global Rallycross to attract these teams from other forms of motorsport?

Nelson Piquet Jr: It’s important to have very professional teams who are experienced and they’re serious about what they’re doing and aiming for wins. I have the same mentality and want to win so I think that we will work well together.



Dominik Wilde: Red Bull Global Rallycross will be visiting some great locations this season, and it kicked off with Top Gear Festival Barbados last weekend, which of the 10 rounds are you looking forward to the most?

Nelson Piquet Jr: The first race was last weekend as part of the Top Gear Festival in Barbados. I had never been to Barbados before so it was exciting to visit somewhere completely new. The atmosphere at the race was great and all the drivers were excited to get started, but I think all the races are going to be exciting. Next up is the X Games in Austin which I think is going to be awesome.



Dominik Wilde: As well as Red Bull Global Rallycross, will you be competing in anything else this year?

Nelson Piquet Jr: Yes I will, I’ve already done one round of the FIA GT Championship and I’ll do a few more. I’m always looking out for interesting racing opportunities.






Images - Autoweek, Blancpain GT, Formula1.com, Alison Padron




No comments:

Post a Comment