Tuesday 28 February 2017

No plans for full time motorsport switch for Olympic cyclist Kenny

Jason Kenny has revealed that he has no plans to make a full-time move into motorsport any time soon.

The Olympic cyclist took three gold medals in last summer's Rio Olympics, making him the joint most successful male British Athlete in terms of gold medals, along with fellow cyclist Sir Chris Hoy.

Kenny has dabbled with motorsport in the past, making appearances in both Ginettas and Radicals, but he's dismissed the possibility of following in Hoy's footsteps by making a full-time switch to four wheels.

"I don’t have any plans, no," he said while participating in a recent track day at Oulton Park. "I think I’m a bit all raced out for now really, I’m just kind of relaxing and just doing what I want and doing what I enjoy."

Kenny, who was appointed Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) in the 2017 New Year Honours, however hasn't ruled out the possibility of a proper switch over to motorsport in the future.

"I’d love to yeah but I don’t think it’s the kind of opportunity that comes round very often," he said. "I’d love to race, I’d love to race at higher levels but like I say for me now it’s very much just a hobby really."

Kenny finished on the podium in the Radical European Masters at the Nurburgring in 2014, and he believes that the similarities between cycling and motorsport have helped him adapt to the environment.

"It does cross over quite well, a lot of racing drivers are big cyclists as well," said Kenny. "I think there’s a technical element and there’s that element of keeping calm when you’re going fast" 

"It’s a bit of a culture in British Cycling," he added. "A lot of the guys at British Cycling are big into cars and kind of petrolheads.



Images: Dominik Wilde

No comments:

Post a Comment